Friday, June 1, 2012

Progress Flagging on Your Novel? Try This

Picture this: You have been working on a novel for, say, five years or so...

You find your progress flagging, say, because you've got a bone-crushing day job that is sucking every ounce of pep out of you...

This happens just as you are ready bring that first draft in for a rocky, perhaps dangerous, yet invigorating landing...

You find an opening in one of your frenetic days...you're ready to start again...but where? You're lost.

My advice: Print the damn thing out. Invest $24 bucks in a new InkJet cartridge, line the chapters up, and click the Print button. I did, and I ended up with this:

Untitled - First Draft - Five Years In
I knew I'd been writing for a while, but I had no idea I'd produced that much. Even if half of it is complete crap (the realistic assumption for a first draft), I'm like, dude, you've got something substantial here, something with some heft to it...

Something worth sticking with for a while.

4 comments:

EMD said...

that's quite a stack, deucerman!

EMD said...

that's quite a stack you got ther, deucerman!

zamley said...

Right on, Bruce! You could kill small mammals with that stack. Very impressive.

zamley said...

Right on, Bruce! You could kill small mammals with that stack. Very impressive.